Brazil (for Brazilians and everyone else) College Counseling

Brazil (for Brazilians and everyone else) College Counseling
Georgetown University, Washington D.C.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Learning How To Learn

Often the journey to finding the right college match is obscured by the hows, whens, whys, wheres, how muchs (big one), and HUHs?!?!?!. Truthfully, this journey should build confidence and skills as well as relationships and strong foundations. If you find you are not excited about your college, get the sweats, or don´t know enough to even THINK about college, I hope these topics will at least give you some tools to use to jumpstart a positive experience.


Many years ago, my Dad told me my job was to go to college and learn how to learn. I wasn´t sure what this advice really meant- what could be more important than going to a school near the beach with a good reputation and eventually getting a diploma? Was I really supposed to figure out how to make the best use of my abilities by choosing a place that matched my needs? B-O-R-I-N-G. Later I ended up using Daddy´s deep theme of wisdom for my college essays (yes, we will go over how to do those too) and found out that there really was an aspect of self-reflection and processes that make this experience enlightening. Not to mention the types of essays those admissions officers really dig.


I have been using college research assignments in the classroom for English writing for over 10 years and hold the position as a college counselor as well as a college (again) student. Hopefully this blog will serve to help others map out their trip from starting the college search, to narrowing down college matches that complement the learner (your addiction to brand names may not be what is good for you. Would you wear a mermaid gown on a pear shaped body? Black dress shoes with white socks? I think not.), to basic ideas like the difference between a college and a university.



No comments:

Post a Comment